We use Mediated Learning Programs (Bright Start, FIE, LPAD) and their Cognitive Education technique throughout the school. In addition, we may use a selection of the following programs tailored and best suited to our students’ needs.
We have a trainer in Non Violent Crisis Intervention and most of our staff is trained in this technique.
A full mobile lab of Chromebooks is in use for all students. We use SMARTBOARD technology.
Programs Used at Mediated Learning Academy:
Taming the Worry Dragons – BC Children’s Hospital Program
Friends for Life- Dr. Paual Barrett, Brisbane, Australia
Bowenian Family Systems
Eye Movement and Reprocessing E.M.D.R – Shapiro
Thought Field Therapy
Mind UPtm Program – Goldie Hawn Foundation
The Circle Concept: Social Competence in Special Education – “The Circles Program”
Creative Problem Solving-Herman
Moral Intelligence by Michelle Borba
Social Story Books
Roots of Empathy
DUSO ( developing Understanding of Self and Others)
Speech-Language Pathology Services:
- Speech and Articulation (including phonological disorders and apraxia of speech)
- Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) — including experience with high-tech communication apps such as LAMP, Proloquo2Go, TouchChat, Speak For Yourself
- Literacy support (phonological awareness, decoding, and reading comprehension)
- Expressive/Receptive Language
- Social/Pragmatic Language
- Functional/Life Skills/Community support
Programs/Resources commonly used:
- Zones of Regulation
- ALERT model
- Social Thinking programs, including Superflex Social Thinking Curriculum
- Spotlight On for reading comprehension, vocabulary, and social language
- Story Grammar Marker for oral language narrative development
- AAC: PECS, Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Display (PODD) communication books, boardmaker, core vocabulary- word of the week lessons
Occupational Therapy Programs
- Learning Without Tears® Programs
- Get Set for School.
- Early learning and Pre-K. Get set for school is a flexible, play-based curriculum that offers a full pre-writing program and materials that build critical skills like early math and literacy. It includes three programs designed to prepare children for school: Readiness & Writing, Language & Literacy, and Numbers & Math.
- Handwriting Without Tears: K – 5. The Handwriting Without Tears®curriculum draws from years of innovation and research to provide developmentally appropriate, multisensory strategies for early writing. The program follows research of how children learn best and includes materials that address all styles of learning.
- Developmentally appropriate lessons that promote quick success.
- Multisensory teaching that addresses all learning styles.
- Unique Letter Order
- Innovative letter order that promotes easy learning.
- Unique physical approach builds good writing habits
- Double lines that control children’s letter size, spacing, and placement.
- Get Set for School.
- Keyboarding Without Tears is a web-based curriculum for grades K–5 that teaches typing, general computer readiness, digital citizenship, and online test prep.
- Alert Program
Through the Alert Program®, students learn about self-regulation – so things like rising and shining, staying alert for learning at school, and winding down to go to bed come more easily.
- Zones of Regulation
The Zones is a systematic, cognitive behavioral approach used to teach self-regulation by categorizing all the different ways we feel and states of alertness we experience into four concrete colored zones. The Zones framework provides strategies to teach students to become more aware of and independent in controlling their emotions and impulses, manage their sensory needs, and improve their ability to problem solve conflicts.
By addressing underlying deficits in emotional and sensory regulation, executive functioning, and social cognition, the framework is designed to help move students toward independent regulation. The Zones of Regulation incorporates Social Thinking® (www.socialthinking.com) concepts and numerous visuals to teach students to identify their feelings/level of alertness, understand how their behavior impacts those around them, and learn what tools they can use to manage their feelings and states.
Mind-Up is a classroom-based social and emotional learning program (SEL) designed to enhance self-awareness, social awareness, attention, self-regulation, problem solving, and pro-social behavior (helping, sharing, and cooperating). Mind-Up also focuses on positive human qualities, such as happiness, optimism, and kindness. Research has shown that students who participate in SEL programs, like Mind-Up, enhance their overall learning potential, improve their classroom behavior, and increase their academic success.Mind-Up was created to help children understand the ways their minds work and how their thoughts and feelings affect their behavior. The Mind-Up curriculum is informed by the latest scientific research in the fields of cognitive neuroscience, social emotional learning, and positive psychology.
Through a series of simple lessons, students learn strategies to calm their minds, and focus their attention.
- The Science of Making Friends.
An approach to helping socially challenged teens and young adults make and keep friends. Based on UCLA’s acclaimed PEER’s program, offering tools to parents and educators need to become “social coaches” to the teens and young adults in their lives.
Physical Therapy Programs:
- Bite Blocks
- is a way PT supports SLP with students speech development
- is a set of 6 bite blocks designed to improve jaw strength at each jaw height position as a component of developing jaw stability, dissociation and grading. This in turn supports the development of standard co-articulation of all speech sounds.
- Ideal and alternative seating (OT and PT)
- having a student in the ideal size table and chair or in the ideal alternative seating, gives the student greater ability to focus on the academic task
- Students availability to learn
- improving a student’s spinal stability increases their ability to learn as they are not having to spend as much energy on keeping themselves upright
- Individualized treatment
- students are assessed in order to design an individualized treatment plan to address a student’s specific needs
Wonder Workshop’s Dot and Dash
Dremel 3D Printer Technology
Open Court Reading
No Glamour Grammar
Words Their Way
Explode the Code
ARC BC Alternative Formats
SET BC Accessible Books
iPad communication programs
Math Makes Sense
Math game literacy units
iMAc editing software
World History Text
Visions and Voices
BC Science Connections
Drawing on the Left Hand Side of the Brain
Discovering Art History
Exploring Visual Design
The City by British Columbia Securities Commission (for financial planning skills)
WorkBC’s Career Blueprint Builder
Employment Standards Branch of BC
Multiple tours to College and University campuses
Here at the Mediated Learning Academy, our music program is tailor made to fit the needs of our students. We offer all the standard music curriculum activities such as basic music literacy, competency and history.
In addition we have a comprehensive modern music performance program where students participate both on stage and behind the scenes.
Our music room is fully equipped with: Guitars Banjo Mandolin Ukulele Orchestral Strings Drum Set Latin percussion Orff instruments Piano Synthesizer Clarinet Saxophone Flute Trombone Trumpet Professional Sound and Lighting Equipment.
Several iMac workstations which run current, industry standard software for remixing, recording, composing, and film scoring. We write original music, produce recordings, and participate in a number of live performances.
Students receive instruction in all aspects of music as art, business, and social and historical phenomenon according to their interests and abilities.